Geographic Areas of Interest
The F. M. Kirby Foundation largely donates to organizations serving communities within geographic areas of interest to the family. The geographic areas of interest are listed below:
- The greater Morris County area
- Statewide programs
- Luzerne County
- Northampton County
- The Research Triangle region of Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill
- Adirondack Park
Grantees from other regions tend to have prior familial affiliation.
Programmatic Areas of Interest
The F. M. Kirby Foundation donates to organizations within 8 major funding program areas, listed below with brief descriptions:
Funding in Arts, Culture, and Humanities includes performing arts centers and programs, cultural community arts development, historical and educational museums, and fine art museums.
- The Foundation’s Educational interests include family alma mater support, equitable educational access, school choice, special education and educational support services, civics and history education, and programs fostering entrepreneurship.
- Areas of interest in Environment and Animals include land conservation and stewardship, environmental law/advocacy organizations, and environmental community development.
- Cancer research, neuroscience and neurodegenerative disease research, Type I Diabetes research, and general biomedical research are all included in Foundational research interests. Also included in Health funding is support for medical centers in geographic areas of interest.
- Support in Human Services includes emergency and disaster services, child protection and domestic violence support, homeless services, food pantries, housing assistance programs, drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs, mental health services, adoption, health services, cancer support services, youth and family development programs, physical and cognitive disability services, veteran affairs, and community development.
- Public policy areas of interest include higher education reform, drug and alcohol prevention policy, sexuality and reproductive health and rights, democratic capitalism, free enterprise think tanks, individual rights and free speech policy, immigration reform, and public news media support.
- The F. M. Kirby Foundation provides support for select religious organizations and churches that are of familial special interest.
Mutual Membership Benefit
- The F. M. Kirby Foundation belongs to several membership organizations that serve the non-profit and philanthropic sector.